Growth begins when we start to accept our own weakness -Jean Vanier
Being a great business analysis is more than just jotting down everything your stakeholders may want. It takes skills that many people just fail to take the time to learn. A lot people think these skills only come with years of experience, but you'd be surprise how quickly you can gain some skills with a simple shift in the way you think about things.
Below is a reading list that will open your eyes to new ways of seeing the same problems. Not only will they make you a better business analyst, but they will also just make you an all around better person. I know for sure that this material has given me a head start on many aspects of my BA career and just life in general. I've already read everything that's listed here, so good luck catching up to me! Also, if you have any other great reads, let me know in the comments sections!
- This book is gold! It is about understanding how people work, so you can work better with them. The most powerful sections, from a BA standpoint are learning how to tell people they are wrong, without making them hate you, as well as how to inspire people to welcome making changes for the better. If you are going to read only 1 book from this list, it should be this one.
- You make decisions every day, and you would be amazed at how easy it is to quickly make good ones on a regular basis. Unfortunately, everything you have experienced in life makes you blind to your own biases in making those decisions. Decisive helps you break out of those biases and to make your a more efficient decision maker.
- Creativity is not genetic. It is a trainable skill. This book essentially break down the creative process that comes naturally to some, so it can be accessible to anybody. So you if you want to take on the challenge of being a more creative thinker and problem solver, then this is a must read.
- Most people believe the best way to motivate is with rewards. That's a mistake! A Huge One. If you can understand why people do things, then you can more easily understand how to help them do things better!
For the New and Upcoming BAs
- How to Start a Business Analyst Career
- Business Analysis for Beginners: Jump-Start Your BA Career in Four Weeks
- Seven Steps to Mastering Business Analysis
- Business Analysis Methodology Book
Techniques and Skills
- The Back of the Napkin (Expanded Edition): Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures
- Business Analytics: Data Analysis & Decision Making
- The Process Improvement Handbook: A Blueprint for Managing Change and Increasing Organizational Performance
- Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes and Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity